This recipe relies on Chinese language meals traditions and elements, akin to winter melon, mushrooms, seitan, and a flavorful broth. Easy, hearty, and healthful, it’s like a comforting, nourishing bowl of goodness! Utterly plant-based and gluten-free, this Winter Melon Mushroom Soup with Seitan satisfies everybody at your desk. It may be served with a aspect of brown rice to make it a meal. Whereas I’m not an skilled at Chinese language meals traditions, I do take pleasure in and rejoice these scrumptious plant-based foodways. My dietitian good friend, Elaine Gong Kubela, taught me learn how to make winter melon soup and helped me select the elements to associate with it at an Asian market in Orange County, California. I used my learnings from her, together with just a few additional elements, to create this actually scrumptious, healthful soup. She beloved winter melon soup as a baby, and now I do know why! It’s so, so good—for the thoughts, physique, and soul.
What’s winter melon? Often known as ash gourd, winter melon is a mild-testing fruit that grows properly in Asia and is a well-liked ingredient in meals traditions there. It’s a member of the gourd household, which additionally contains cucumbers and squash. The rectangular gourd has white flesh that may be very gentle in taste—it doesn’t style candy like different melons, and is nice cooked. Yow will discover it in Asian markets or farmers markets.
Based mostly on Chinese language meals traditions, this scrumptious, healthful Winter Melon Mushroom Soup with Seitan is a vegan, gluten-free meal that soothes the thoughts, physique, and soul.
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 ½ tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 kilos (together with peel) winter melon, peeled, cubed
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 8 ounces wooden ear mushrooms, sliced (could substitute for a unique mushroom)
- 2-inches contemporary ginger, shredded
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces seitan, chopped (make seitan from scratch right here)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ cup water
- 4 inexperienced onions, sliced
- 1 chili pepper, sliced
- Add broth, 3 cups water, rice vinegar and soy sauce to a giant pot and warmth till it involves a boil.
- Add cubed winter melon, sliced carrots, sliced mushrooms, shredded ginger, minced garlic, and chopped seitan.
- Stir properly, cowl, and simmer over medium warmth for about 20-25 minutes, till greens are tender.
- Combine cornstarch with ¼ cup water and stir into soup, cooking for a couple of minutes till combination thickens.
- Pour into bowls. Garnish with inexperienced onions and chili pepper slices. Serve instantly.
- Makes 12 servings (about 1 cup every).
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook dinner Time: 22 minutes
- Class: Soup
- Delicacies: American
Key phrases: vegan soup, greatest vegan soup, winter soup, wholesome soup, mushroom soup
For different plant-based soup recipes, take a look at the next:
This publish could comprise affiliate hyperlinks. For extra info, click on right here.