This Vegetarian Pad Thai is a colourful mixture of contemporary produce, a straightforward vegetarian pad Thai sauce, and freshly spiralized zucchini noodles. It’s a magic wand that transforms traditional pad Thai right into a wholesome, low-carb, 30-minute dinner.
My love for pad Thai runs deep.
A lot so, that when Ben and I visited Thailand, we cut up a plate of pad Thai each single day of the journey, each at lunch and at dinner.
It was so tasty and such a discount, we couldn’t resist!
Again on this facet of the Pacific Ocean, pad Thai continues to be a dish I like to prepare dinner at residence.
It’s quick, simple, and hits the spot each time I’m feeling tempted by takeout (this recipe is a better option!).
If you’re going for authenticity, this Wholesome Shrimp Pad Thai with rice noodles is most just like the model we ate day by day in Thailand.
That stated, throughout our travels we regularly got here throughout vegetarian pad Thai too.
5 Star Evaluation
“I can’t inform individuals how fantastic this dish is – simply DELISH!”
— Martha —
At the moment, I’m sharing a vegetarian pad Thai impressed by these we devoured on our journey (learn extra about our travels on this publish: Thailand Half 1).
One main distinction between at the moment’s vegetarian pad Thai and those in Bangkok?
Whereas not conventional, swapping zucchini noodles for traditional rice noodles is an effective way to make pad Thai a wholesome dinner choice for any night time (or when you’re me in Thailand, each night time) of the week.
Zoodles Vs. Rice Noodles
When summer time produce is in its prime, swapping the same old rice noodles for spiralized zucchini to make zoodle pad Thai is a superb method to make use of up that bumper crop.
At different occasions of 12 months, I nonetheless like to prepare dinner with zucchini noodles beause:
- Zucchini is accessible and inexpensive.
- Zucchini noodles minimize the energy and carbs of conventional pad Thai dramatically.
- It packs additional nutritional vitamins, minerals, and a serving of veggies into each bowl.
- Zoodles make pad Thai a straightforward, one-pot meal as a result of no boiling of water is required.
In the event you haven’t jumped on the zoodle prepare but, this vegetarian pad Thai is a perfect place to start out (then follow-up with this Zucchini Stir Fry).
Tips on how to Make Vegetarian Pad Thai
Begin to end, this vegetarian pad Thai recipe is prepared in half-hour (listed here are extra of my favourite 30-minute meals).
It gives wholesome proteins and fat because of a trio of eggs, peanuts, and edamame, and is veggie packed.
The sauce is salty, a bit of funky (in a great way), and has a contact of spice and sweetness.
- Zucchini. The zucchini noodles drink up the flavour of the tasty pad Thai sauce, present an additional serving of veggies, and make this meal extremely wholesome and low carb too.
- Soy Sauce. Provides this dish its iconic briny, umami taste. I at all times go for low sodium soy sauce to maintain the dish from turning into too salty.
- Rice Vinegar. Has a critical impression on the yum-factor of this sauce. Don’t skip or skimp!
- Chili Garlic Sauce. Or Sriracha, when you choose, offers simply the correct amount of kick.
- Honey. Sweetness to stability the chili sauce (traditional pad Thai makes use of common sugar when you choose).
- Eggs. Supplies protein to make this dish filling and satisfying.
- Carrots. Add a brilliant burst of orange coloration and pack every serving with vitamin A.
- Bean Sprouts. A traditional addition to any pad Thai recipe. It makes the recipe contemporary and a bit of crunchy.
- Edamame. Present a pleasant contrasting texture whereas contributing a dose of wholesome plant-based protein. (In the event you love edamame, strive my Edamame Hummus.)
- Garlic and Inexperienced Onions. Add a bit of additional aroma and zip.
- Cilantro. Finishes the dish with a bit of coloration and contemporary herb style.
Add a sprinkling of contemporary, chopped Thai basil (or common basil) and chives for one more layer of taste.
- Lime. A ultimate squeeze of contemporary lime juice balances and brightens the dish.
- Peanuts. Give this dish a pleasant crunch that contrasts the tender greens superbly. A pad Thai important.
- In a small bowl, combine the sauce substances.
For sweeter pad Thai, add extra honey. For spicier, add extra chili paste.
- Spiralize the zucchini into zoodles (or minimize into ribbons utilizing a Y-shaped vegetable peeler). Put aside.
- Subsequent, sauté the garlic, and scramble the eggs till they only start to set.
- Add the zucchini noodles, bean sprouts, carrots, edamame, inexperienced onions, and sauce. Then, prepare dinner till the veggies are crisp-tender.
- Garnish with peanuts, cilantro, and lime wedges. Serve and ENJOY!
- To Retailer. Zucchini noodles soften when reheated. Subsequently, this recipe is greatest loved the day it’s made, however it could possibly final within the fridge for 1 to 2 days.
- To Reheat. For greatest outcomes, rapidly heat the pad Thai, uncovered, in a skillet over medium-high warmth till heated via.
- To Freeze. Freezing shouldn’t be really helpful.
Meal Prep Tip
Whereas this recipe doesn’t maintain up the most effective to reheating, you possibly can prep the substances prematurely to chop down cooking time for a make-ahead dinner.
- Prewash, spiralize, and chop your produce as much as 24 hours earlier than cooking.
- Retailer prepped veggies in separate or divided containers within the fridge.
- Combine the sauce forward and retailer it in an hermetic container.
Then, when able to prepare dinner, merely warmth your skillet or wok and prepare dinner as directed within the recipe. Straightforward peasy!
Really useful Instruments to Make this Recipe
- Spiralizer. For making contemporary, wholesome zucchini, beet, or butternut squash noodles.
- Nonstick skillet. A pleasant, deep skillet is right for making veggie-pack stir fry recipes.
- Wok. When you’ve got the cabinet area and luxuriate in making stir fries typically (like this Vegetable Lo Mein), a wok is a good funding.
The Greatest Wok
This wok’s ceramic coating permits for cooking and frying with much less oil and butter. It’s 3-layer backside creates a good warmth distribution too.
Continuously Requested Questions
No. If we get technical, conventional pad Thai shouldn’t be usually vegetarian as a result of most genuine recipes comprise fish sauce which is derived from fermented small fish or krill. Moreover, pad Thai recipes typically comprise sautéed shrimp or hen, though tofu can be frequent.
Vegetarian pad Thai is a superb, wholesome dinner choice. So long as you don’t go overboard on the sugar or oil, then pad Thai is low in fats, ldl cholesterol, and energy. Recipes like this one additionally get bonus factors because it swaps conventional rice noodles for zucchini noodles (zoodles) making it a low-carb meal and providing much more greens.
No. Not like Common Tso’s Hen, a well-liked Chinese language dish that truly has origins in Taiwan and america, pad Thai was truly created in Thailand.
FOR THE SAUCE:
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1-3 teaspoons chili garlic sauce or Sriracha, or scorching sauce of selection
FOR THE VEGETARIAN PAD THAI:
- 2 medium zucchini
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil divided
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 giant eggs
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1/2 cup shelled edamame
- 2 giant inexperienced onions finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped peanuts
- 1/4 cup chopped contemporary cilantro
- Lime wedges for serving
- Extra scorching sauce for serving
In a small bowl, stir collectively the sauce substances. In the event you choose a sweeter pad Thai, add extra honey. For spicier, add extra chili paste.
With a spiralizer, minimize the zucchini into zoodles. In the event you don’t have a spiralizer, you possibly can minimize the zucchini into ribbons utilizing a Y-shaped vegetable peeler. Put aside.
Warmth 1 teaspoon of oil in a big nonstick skillet or wok over medium-high warmth. Add the garlic, then crack the eggs immediately into the skillet. Break aside the yolk with the spatula and let prepare dinner for 30 seconds, till simply starting to set. Add the noodles and sauce and stir to coat. Subsequent, add the bean sprouts, carrots, edamame, and chopped inexperienced onions and let prepare dinner till the bean sprouts are crisp-tender, about 1 minute. Sprinkle on the peanuts and cilantro. Serve instantly with lime wedges and extra scorching sauce as desired.
- TO STORE: As a result of zucchini noodles soften when reheated, this recipe is greatest loved the day it’s made, however it could possibly final within the fridge for 1 to 2 days.
- TO REHEAT: For greatest outcomes, rapidly heat the pad Thai, uncovered, in a skillet over medium-high warmth till heated via.
- TO FREEZE: Freezing shouldn’t be really helpful.
- To Make Vegan Pad Thai: Use maple syrup or gentle agave instead of the honey (for vegan), and omit the eggs or substitute them for additional edamame or Air Fryer Tofu.
Serving: 1(of two)Energy: 371kcalCarbohydrates: 37gProtein: 20gFats: 18gSaturated Fats: 3gPolyunsaturated Fats: 5gMonounsaturated Fats: 8gTrans Fats: 1gLdl cholesterol: 164mgPotassium: 1251mgFiber: 9gSugar: 22gVitamin A: 11587IUVitamin C: 52mgCalcium: 139mgIron: 4mg
Be part of at the moment and begin saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite initiatives and tutorials.