International Secretary Liz Truss has pledged as much as £105 million of UK emergency assist to assist weak international locations deal with the Omicron Covid-19 variant, with a specific concentrate on Africa.
The very important assist can be delivered via trusted companions and can:
- Scale-up testing – particularly in elements of Africa the place testing charges for Covid-19 stay lowest – permitting well being programs to trace and reply to the unfold of the virus extra successfully. That is along with the UK’s world-leading genomic sequencing help.
- Enhance entry to oxygen provides for ventilators – a surge in demand for oxygen is a big danger for some international locations.
- Present communities with hygiene recommendation, merchandise and entry to handwashing services and help deep cleansing in colleges, well being centres and different public locations. This may construct on the profitable international hygiene marketing campaign between UK assist and Unilever which has reached over 1.2 billion individuals since its launch in 2020.
- Fund the UK’s ground-breaking science and analysis into the unfold of variants like Omicron to allow revolutionary evidence-based coverage responses in low and middle-income international locations.
- Prepared the UK’s personal knowledgeable emergency groups for deployment abroad to disaster hotspots, together with with new medical tools.
The federal government has additionally confirmed at the moment that over 30 million vaccines have been delivered as far as a part of the UK’s pledge to donate 100 million doses to the world, benefitting greater than 30 international locations.
International Secretary Liz Truss mentioned:
The UK is offering very important help to assist deal with the unfold of recent variants all over the world. That is key to securing our freedom and ending this pandemic as soon as and for all.
I’m proud that we have now additionally delivered over 30 million vaccines to profit our associates all over the world this 12 months. The UK helps different international locations most in want. Nobody is protected till everyone seems to be protected.”
Doses donated by the UK have reached 4 continents and supplied very important safety from Covid-19 in international locations together with Angola, Cambodia, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Ethiopia, Ghana, Indonesia, Malawi, Nepal, and Rwanda.
Of the greater than 30 million doses now donated, 24.6 million have been obtained by COVAX for supply to international locations and 5.5 million have been shared immediately with international locations in want together with Kenya, Jamaica, and Indonesia.
Tens of millions extra vaccines can be despatched to different international locations in 2022, together with 20 million Oxford-AstraZeneca doses and 20 million Janssen doses.
The UK has been on the forefront of the worldwide response to Covid-19. At present’s announcement builds on the £1.3 billion in UK assist dedicated to the worldwide well being response early on within the pandemic, supporting vaccines, well being programs and financial restoration in creating international locations.
The Authorities additionally invested greater than £88 million to help the event of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine, and the UK turned the primary nation on the earth to approve the jab a 12 months in the past at the moment.
Due to AstraZeneca’s dedication distribute the vaccine on a non-profit foundation, 2.5 billion doses have been utilized in greater than 170 international locations, two thirds of that are low- and middle-income international locations.
Well being and Social Care Secretary Sajid Javid mentioned:
The worldwide pandemic has challenged well being programs all over the world and one of the simplest ways to beat this terrible illness is to unite and stand facet by facet with our worldwide companions.
By supporting international locations with the UK’s floor breaking science and analysis into the unfold of variants, enhancing entry to oxygen and scaling up testing we’ll assist these most in want chart their course out of the pandemic.
I’m proud that we have now already delivered over 30 million vaccines to our associates overseas. The UK, as a world chief, helps different international locations most in want. Nobody is protected till everyone seems to be protected.”
Dr Seth Berkley, CEO of Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance, mentioned:
We welcome the UK’s dedication in new funding to guard probably the most weak, significantly in Africa; the UK’s continued concentrate on COVAX and equitable international entry to COVID19 vaccines, each via early financing commitments made at UNGA 2020, in addition to assembly the Prime Minister’s G7 dedication to dose sharing – the 30m goal set by the tip of 2021.
We stay up for operationalising the rest of the UK’s dose sharing dedication by way of COVAX in 2022, whereas we additionally work with the UK Authorities on persevering with to help Gavi’s formidable 2021- 2025 routine vaccination programmes, of which the UK is the biggest funder via the PM’s dedication made on the UK-hosted World Vaccine Summit in June 2020.”