Tips on how to keep away from a disastrous WEIGHT CUT
By Coach Dustin Myers, CSCS
Are your wrestlers slicing weight the WRONG manner?
Ah, sure…the proverbial elephant within the room – weight slicing. Personally I’m an enormous proponent of wrestlers NOT slicing weight, notably at the highschool or youth stage, however till now we have a serious tradition change it would stay part of the game. Even when an athlete just isn’t slicing a considerable amount of weight the fact of being caught between two weights (say, an athlete that walks round at 190lbs) often leaves us with one possibility and that’s taking off some water weight earlier than weigh ins. Nevertheless, like most issues, there are proper methods and much more fallacious methods to go about it, with many athletes taking off weight in methods that may be detrimental to efficiency and their well being.
What to keep away from:
1. Do NOT restrict your water consumption early within the week.The best mistake to make is to restrict water as you’re bringing your weight down. A chronically dehydrated physique turns into a sponge, retaining any water that is available in and making it exhausting to really lose extra water when it comes time to make weight.
Answer: keep hydrated ingesting 1 gallon of water or extra per day all week
2. Do NOT skip meals. Even when bringing your weight down through the week your physique nonetheless wants gas for restoration. Ravenous your self will trigger your metabolism to grind to a halt and your physique will go right into a catabolic state, consuming away on the muscle you labored so exhausting to realize.
Answer: proceed to eat small nutrient dense meals 3-4 instances per day your complete week. Restrict carbohydrates to fruits, veggies, and low glycemic complicated carbs like quinoa and brown rice – ideally after coaching. Excessive fats meals resembling eggs, avocado, and nuts will present power and fulfill starvation even in small quantities.
3. Do NOT work exhausting to take off the load. When it comes time to make weight, you ought to be roughly the identical variety of kilos over which you could safely lose in a single follow. In case you usually sweat off 4lbs every follow then your aim must be to stroll round not more than 4lbs over by the tip of the week – however the bottom line is to lose that final 4lbs by expending the LEAST quantity of power attainable.
Answer: use low depth actions resembling biking and stance movement to sweat. I’d advocate working solely firstly to get your sweat going then proceed with decrease depth actions.
4. Do NOT gorge after weigh ins. As tempting as it may be, don’t pig out after making weight.
Answer: Rehydrate first – I like to recommend 32oz of Water with Max Effort Muscle Amino Restoration instantly – then absorb some easy carbs resembling a banana. 20minutes or so later deal with your self to a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and proceed to drink water.
5. Do NOT get behind the 8-ball. It is pure to have a giant cheat meal(s) after competing and do not forget that your physique goes to be a sponge after being dehydrated. Do not let that saturday evening bloat carry over into monday or tuesday.
Answer: the day after competing get a superb sweat with some lengthy, gradual, low depth energetic restoration. You may not really feel like using the bike for an hour the morning after your match title, however it would assist work out the soreness and eliminate the bloat out of your victory feast – and make the following weight reduce that a lot simpler.
These are just some ideas to ensure your weight reduce just isn’t a catastrophe. I’d a lot fairly see wrestlers eat wholesome, elevate heavy all season, and luxuriate in wrestling!
Wish to be taught extra? Be a part of my FREE weekly Wrestling Energy e-newsletter with all the newest coaching ideas and strategies to take your efficiency to the following stage! I can even offer you a coaching PDF with 8 of my hardest FINISHERS without cost only for signing up! Be a part of NOW
Try my e-books and be taught the identical exercises I take advantage of with my elite wrestlers: Coach Myers Energy & Conditioning Applications