Tips for Searching on Facebook
If a person is an avid Facebook user, it can be difficult to locate a post they published yesterday or even a few hours ago by scrolling through their page. Facebook allows you to search for specific words and phrases, regardless of when they were posted.
Here is a Facebook search you may use to locate postings by a specific friend or to check what the general public is saying about a particular topic:
- In the upper-left corner of Facebook.com, enter a word or group of words into the search bar. On the Facebook mobile app, tap the search icon to enter your content in the search bar.
- Select Posts.
- Select Posts From to filter results by posts from Your Friends, Your Groups and Pages, or Public Posts. On the mobile app, tap the filter icon in the upper-right corner to filter your results.
Under Posts, you can also sort results by Posts You’ve Seen, Date Posted (year only), and Tagged Location.
Locate Someone You Just Met
Maybe you met a new acquaintance in Kansas City over the weekend and all you know about him is that his name is Matt, or perhaps you’re looking for a friend of a friend. Instead of searching all of Facebook for Matt or exploring Kansas City groups in hopes of finding him, you may combine search criteria to significantly reduce the results.
- Enter the name you are searching for in the Facebook search bar.
- Select the People filter.
- Select City.
- In the Choose a City field, enter the relevant city’s name.
If you know where this individual attends college or works, enter that information in the Education or Work section.
Search for Restaurants Your Friends Have Visited
You can only access Facebook’s “hidden” restaurant search tool by putting restaurants in the search bar. You may even view the restaurants your Facebook friends have frequented.
- Enter restaurants in the Facebook search bar.
- Select the Places filter.
- Turn on Visited by Friends.
Places can also be filtered by Delivery, Takeout, Location, Status (open/closed/new hours), and Price.
Similar to this search, you may type pizza into the search bar and then activate the Frequented by Friends filter to see pizza restaurants visited by your friends.
This search approach is applicable to all company kinds. Enter the sort of business you are looking for in the search field (e.g., neighboring legal firms) and filter as needed.
See Upcoming Events Your Friends Are Attending
Use the Events filter in your search to get additional information about the events your Facebook friends are thinking about going to:
- Enter an event name or keyword into the search bar. For example, music is a good keyword for musicals or anything music-related. If you know the exact name, you can type that instead, such as Music on Main!
- Select the Events filter.
- Turn on Popular with Friends.
The events search results can also be filtered based on Online Events, Location, Dates (from today through next week), Categories, and Family Friendly.
Find Items for Sale in Facebook Marketplace
- In the search bar, type the name of the item you wish to buy. A gallery of those particular things for sale in the Facebook Marketplace will be shown on Facebook.
- Select Marketplace to narrow down the results. Location, Delivery method, Item condition, Price, and Date displayed can all be used to filter the results of a marketplace search. Depending on the item for sale, there may be several marketplace filtering choices.
Sorting filtered results by Recommended, Distance, and Price is an option.
If you wish to receive a notification when a new listing matches your search criteria, click Notify Me under the search bar. To list a new item for sale in the Marketplace, choose Create New Listing.