This Rooster Pozole Rojo Recipe is made with quite a lot of pink chilis for deep wealthy flavors, shredded hen and hominy. Every chew boasts of genuine Mexican flavors for the right comforting dinner recipe.
A Warming, Nourishing Mexican-Type Rooster Soup
In case you’re a fan of Mexican meals, you’re going to like this recipe. And even in the event you’re not, I extremely suggest giving it a strive. Rooster Pozole Rojo is a really secure manner of venturing into a unique delicacies in your meals! There’s not loads of spice (until you need to add it, after all!) and it options easy elements that you will discover proper at your common grocery retailer.
Rooster Pozole Rojo is a Mexican hen and hominy stew. And this recipe, like most genuine ones, options complete meals. There are not any hidden or funky elements right here…and that’s what makes it so scrumptious. I really like nothing greater than a dish that comes collectively flawlessly with easy complete meals. Their flavors communicate for themselves and mix collectively with out essential processed merchandise.
This stew has perfectly-cooked pulled hen, my Home made Crimson Enchilada Sauce [LINK], candy and nutty hominy, smoked paprika, and oregano. Plus, you may add toppings on the finish to enliven the dish!
Is Pozole Rojo Good for You?
This recipe is likely one of the good ones! Not solely is it fast and straightforward, however it’s additionally good for you. As I stated, there are not any hidden elements right here. I extremely suggest utilizing my selfmade enchilada sauce for one of the best outcomes. Once you do that, you might be assured to know every thing that’s going into your stew! Plus, you may brag that it’s 100% selfmade!
There’s little or no fats on this recipe. Plus, it’s gluten-free. Hominy is a corn product, nevertheless. So please be conscious of that if you’re following a Whole30, Paleo, or Keto eating regimen. Hominy tends to have loads of carbs, however that doesn’t take away from the standard of the dish. It’s nonetheless full of protein from the hen and antioxidants from the pink chilis.
What Is Pozole Rojo Made Of?
The ingredient listing is kind of easy! It is best to have the ability to discover the elements at your common market. Remember that the precise quantities are within the recipe card under.
For the Stew:
- Avocado Oil: I like utilizing avocado oil to sear meat. However you too can use sunflower oil or vegetable oil.
- Rooster Breasts: Bone-in gives you one of the best taste. You too can use legs and thighs. And even use a complete rotisserie hen and pull all of the meat off.
- Salt & Pepper
- Yellow Onion: White onion or pink onion would additionally work right here.
- Garlic: Convey on the garlic! The recipe requires 8 cloves. For garlic lovers like myself, there’s completely no judgment if you wish to add extra!
- Rooster Inventory: I like to recommend utilizing selfmade hen inventory or low sodium so that you simply maintain the salt stage low for this dish. You need to have the ability to management the salt your self!
- Bay Leaves: Actually, this could be the best manner so as to add taste to any soup or stew. 1-2 leaves are all you want.
- Home made Crimson Enchilada Sauce [LINK]: In case you’re brief on time and also you don’t have any premade, it’s okay to purchase the sauce on the retailer. Attempt to discover one with simply the essential elements and, once more, not a loopy excessive quantity of sodium.
- Smoked Paprika: I LOVE this ingredient, particularly with wealthy and flavorful stews. It makes a giant distinction! In case you’re caught and you’ll’t discover smoked paprika, common paprika can also be okay to make use of.
- Oregano: You need to use dried or contemporary right here. I at all times have dried oregano available for soups and stews. It provides an excellent herb taste!
- Sliced Avocado
- Shredded Cabbage
- Sliced Radishes
- Chopped Cilantro
- Lime Wedges
Hominy IS corn, nevertheless, it’s not the identical corn off the cob that you simply’re used to. Hominy is corn kernels which were nixtamalized. Meaning they’ve been soaked in a lye or lime resolution after which rinsed a number of instances. This course of removes the hulls and adjustments the feel of the kernel.
Consider it or not, this stripping course of really does improve the dietary worth of the corn. The nutritional vitamins and vitamins that hominy has are extra simply absorbed within the physique as a result of the hull has been eliminated.
Hominy does style like corn however it has a extra developed taste. It’s slightly candy, earthy, and nutty. It resembles the flavour of corn tortillas or masa with its richness and depth of taste.
The best way to Make Rooster Pozole Rojo
Right here’s tips on how to make this straightforward stew. Your own home goes to odor superb and also you’ll have a scrumptious dinner in about an hour.
First, sear the hen breasts. Searing meat provides a ton of taste. I don’t recommend skipping this step! Do that proper within the dutch oven that you simply’re going to prepare dinner the stew in.
Take away the hen from the pan and add the onions and garlic. You need to “sweat” the onions and garlic. Because of this they may launch their pure juices whereas cooking and begin to get mushy and tender. Once they do that, combine them round in order that the moisture picks up any of the leftover bits of hen from searing. It’s one other manner so as to add extra taste!
Subsequent, add hen inventory, water, and the hen breasts again to the pot. Once more, you may fire up the inventory slightly bit to scrub the underside of the pan and blend the flavors and seasonings. Now let the hen prepare dinner within the inventory for about Quarter-hour.
When the hen is cooked, take away it from the pot. Then shred with two forks. Then, put the hen again into the dutch oven.
Add the remainder of the elements. Add the enchilada sauce, hominy, smoked paprika, and oregano to the dutch oven.
Simmer for half-hour. I like to recommend masking the dutch oven in order that not one of the liquid evaporates.
Serve the stew instantly and garnish. You’ll be able to garnish with avocado, sliced cabbage, cilantro, and sliced radishes in the event you’d like.
Right here are some things to bear in mind when making Rooster Pozole Rojo.
- Don’t overlook to rinse the hominy. Hominy is soaked in an alkali resolution that’s thick and slightly gooey. You’ll need to rinse the kernels nicely earlier than placing them into the stew.
- Bone-in meat may have one of the best taste. Simply make it possible for no bones get tossed into the soup with the hen!
- I extremely suggest garnishing this stew. This can be a nice alternative so as to add taste and enhance those which can be already within the soup. For instance, contemporary lime juice works wonders in the case of elevating flavors.
What to Serve with Rooster Pozole Rojo
I can’t emphasize sufficient how a lot I really like including the garnishes to this stew! However there are additionally a number of different issues that pair rather well with this dish.
- Tortilla Chips or Corn Chips: This can be a smart way so as to add slightly crunch. Throwing in a aspect of Home made Guacamole could be scrumptious, too!
- Recent Salads: Soup and Salad Night time anybody?! You’ll be able to serve this stew alongside a contemporary salad like my Chili Lime Grilled Corn Salad or Mexican Quinoa Salad.
- Cornbread: It tastes superb once you dip the bread into the stew.
- Rice or Pasta: You need to use rice or pasta shells as a base and put the stew on prime!
The best way to Retailer and Reheat the Leftovers
This stew tastes even higher the subsequent day! I extremely suggest making a giant batch and protecting some for leftovers.
Merely retailer the stew in an air-tight container within the fridge for as much as 5 days. Then reheat within the microwave or on the stovetop. In case you use the microwave, I like to recommend masking it with a paper towel so the stew doesn’t splatter in every single place!
Does This Soup Freeze Nicely?
You too can freeze Pozole Rojo. In doing so I like to make use of gallon-sized freezer luggage. I then lay them flat within the freezer so that they don’t take up as a lot room.
Simply just remember to thaw the night time earlier than you need to eat the soup. Then it’s a breeze to reheat within the dutch oven.
Rooster Pozole Rojo is a Mexican stew with hen, hominy, and pink chilis. The stew is straightforward and has unbelievable genuine flavors. It’s prepared in an hour!
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 2 lb. skinless hen breast (bone-in gives you extra taste)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 massive yellow onion, diced
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups hen inventory
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 cups selfmade pink enchilada sauce
- 30 oz. can hominy, rinsed and drained
- 3 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- salt to style
- Garnish with sliced radish, avocado, inexperienced onion, sliced inexperienced cabbage and lime wedges.
- Season either side of hen breast with salt and pepper.
- Warmth a big dutch oven to medium excessive warmth, add 2 tablespoons of avocado oil and hen breast. Sear both sides for 3-4 minutes till browned. As soon as browned take away and let relaxation on a plate.
- Instantly add onion and garlic to the pot and saute fro 3-4 minutes, till onions are translucent or barely browned.
- Add hen again to the pot together with hen inventory, water and bay leaves. Convey to a boil and scale back to a simmer for 10-Quarter-hour or till hen is poached and cooked by way of.
- Take away hen from the pot and shred utilizing two forks. Add hen again to the pot together with hominy, selfmade pink enchilada sauce, smoked paprika, oregano and salt to style. Stir to combine every thing collectively, cowl and simmer for half-hour.
- Serve. Garnish with sliced radish, avocado, inexperienced onion, sliced inexperienced cabbage and lime wedges.
Key phrases: pozole, pozole soup, mexican hen soup, mexican stew
Extra Hearty Soup Recipes
DON’T MISS A RECIPE ->