WHAT IS THE SUMMER SOLSTICE
Oh, great summer time! Simply saying the phrase brings on ideas of lengthy days, quick nights, and rising temperatures to take pleasure in. For these of us with children, it additionally means early sunrises, late sunsets, and lots of “however the solar is out!” arguments for waking up early or staying up late. However what’s the summer time solstice, and why does it mark the beginning of summer time? Learn on to search out out extra!
On the summer time solstice (additionally referred to as midsummer in some cultures), one of many earth’s poles reaches its most tilt (23.44 levels) towards the solar. For these of us within the Northern Hemisphere, this happens on June 21 this 12 months and marks the longest day and the shortest night time of the 12 months. Apparently, nations and territories north of the Arctic Circle (comparable to Alaska) witness what is known as the “midnight solar” the place the solar is seen for a full 24 hours.
Whereas we take into account this present day the beginning of summer time in the USA, different cultures take into account it nearer to the center of summer time. The summer time solstice has been related to the whole lot from the beginning of the brand new 12 months in historical Greece to the female “yin” drive in historical China. No matter which means you take a look at it, it is a day value celebrating! Listed here are some actions, crafts, and ebook suggestions to assist your loved ones rejoice the longest day (and shortest night time) of the 12 months.
Photograph Credit score: Jessica Human
- Welcome the early dawn with yoga — Greet the dawn or sundown with a couple of rounds of solar salutations to present thanks for the blessings the solar brings us. You’ll be able to observe it up with a couple of poses depicting a few of these blessings, comparable to tree pose and flower pose, or some enjoyable animal poses to maintain the kiddos . Uncover extra family-friendly yoga poses on this article.
- Dawn or sundown hike — Usher the household out the door for an early-morning hike to welcome the solar on the longest day of the 12 months. Don’t need to get up that early? Purpose for a sundown hike as an alternative and keep to marvel on the starlit sky because it involves life on the shortest night time of the 12 months.
- Create a summer-themed nature desk — Creating an space the place children can place gadgets that remind them of summer time is a superb method to kick off the season! The world might be as small as a bowl with a couple of particular gadgets or as massive as a desk with quite a few summer time tasks on show. A number of examples to incorporate are seashells collected on the seashore, postcards from a trip, summer time crafts, or potted flowers. Any gadgets that remind your loved ones of the infinite enjoyable of summer time will work!
- Spend time with the native flora — What higher method to present your gratitude for the daylight than by spending time within the backyard or visiting a farm to present thanks for the bounty that’s made potential by the solar? In any case, with out the solar, vegetation couldn’t exist, which in flip implies that animals (like us) couldn’t exist.
Photograph Credit score: Ali Chandra
- Assemble a solar suncatcher — Seize the radiance of daylight with a sun-shaped suncatcher to hold in your window! This craft is certain to brighten your day even when the climate turns gloomy.
- Make a flower crown — Rejoice the season with a vivid and sunny flower crown. If dandelions are plentiful in your yard this time of 12 months, right here is a simple tutorial for a dandelion crown utilizing no additional supplies. Then you possibly can harvest the dandelion greens to make a yummy salad! Seeking to save the flowers and go away no hint, otherwise you don’t have dandelions in your yard? Here’s a tutorial that makes use of pretend flowers to create a beautiful summer time crown.
- Create a sundial — Get in some stealth studying by educating the kiddos how historical people decided the time of day by utilizing the shadow solid by the place of the solar. This simple craft could make an important addition to your backyard, patio, or out of doors play space.
- Extra solar crafts — Searching for extra crafts to assist your loved ones rejoice the solar and the beginning of summer time? Listed here are a plethora of simple choices to strive along with your children.
Photograph Credit score: Ali Chandra
SUMMER BOOKS TO READ
Because the saying goes, “An image is value a thousand phrases.” These fantastically illustrated books assist youngsters of all ages perceive what occurs as spring turns to summer time.
BIRTH– 3 YEARS
I See Summer season by Charles Ghigna — Pea pods, cucumbers, and strawberries present loads of alternatives for counting within the backyard! This brilliantly illustrated, summer-themed ebook offers readers a chance to go looking and study with hidden numbers on each web page.
Summer season Days and Nights by Wong Herbert Ye — Comply with a spunky little woman as she finds methods to entertain herself and keep cool on a scorching summer time day. From catching butterflies to looking for frogs, the writer focuses on appreciating the small however particular particulars that outline the summer time season.
Summer season Is Right here by Heidi Pross Grey — Learn alongside because the writer covers a number of the greatest highlights of summer time, from choosing blueberries to diving into the water on a scorching day. Superb watercolor illustrations and rhythmic, whimsical textual content lead the reader on a summer time journey on this ebook.
The Wonders of Summer season by Kealy Connor Lonning – Comply with an adventurous little woman and her father as they expertise the wonders of summer time, from wading in a river and catching fireflies to having fun with ice cream. This heartfelt ebook will encourage households to get outside and recognize the wonders and great thing about nature in summer time.
4 YEARS AND UP
The Longest Day – Celebrating the Summer season Solstice by Wendy Pfeffer — This ebook takes readers on a journey by way of the historical past and science behind the summer time solstice, with a concentrate on summer time celebrations from numerous cultures around the globe. The writer additionally makes use of kid-friendly language to explain the science behind summer time phenomena, comparable to the expansion of a butterfly and the longer day size.
Summer season Solar Risin’ by W. Nikola-Lisa – Be a part of a bit of boy as he spends an activity-filled summer time day serving to his household on their farm. Feeding animals, mowing hay, choosing greens, and consuming freshly caught fish fill the hours on a summer time farm within the Fifties.
And Then Comes Summer season by Tom Brenner — Lyrical textual content is used to explain the sights, smells, sounds, and favourite out of doors actions of summer time. The ebook is accompanied by cheerful illustrations depicting the fun of summer time and is sufficient to get anybody excited for the warmest season of the 12 months!
Underneath Alaska’s Midnight Solar by Deb Vanasse — See summer time by way of the eyes of an Alaskan woman as she enjoys the “midnight solar” of her area. With stunning illustrations, observe alongside as she dances, watches wildlife, and stays up late with the solar that doesn’t set.
How does your loved ones rejoice the beginning of summer time? Tell us within the feedback beneath!
ABOUT HIKE IT BABY
We hope you loved studying this text from Hike it Child. We’re working arduous to supply our group with content material and sources that inform, encourage, and entertain you.