How to delete Facebook notifications on your smartphone or PC
Facebook notifications (and social media notifications in general) can be quite overwhelming, and they frequently inform you about things you don’t care about. To make matters worse, most users will not change notification settings for specific categories, groups, or pages. Fortunately, you can easily remove that ungodly clutter by deleting notifications one by one. Alternatively, you can simply mark all notifications as read and go about your business. Below, we’ll show you how to delete Facebook notifications or “Mark all as read.”
How to remove notifications on Facebook
1. How to “Mark all as read” all notifications
If some old notifications keep popping up and you want them gone but don’t want to delete them, you can mark all as read and move on, just like with an email client. Unfortunately, this is not possible in the Facebook app for Android and iOS. You’ll need to use your PC for this, or, even better, the Desktop site mode in Chrome or any other browser on your smartphone.
What you must do is as follows:
- Open Chrome (any browser will do) and navigate to Facebook, here. On your Android, open the browser and select Desktop site from the 3-dots menu and then navigate to Facebook. On your iPhone, use Safari to navigate to Facebook and just refuse to open it with the app (tap Cancel). This will take you to the Facebook web client.
- Sign in with your credentials.
- Tap or click Notifications at the top right corner (bell icon).
- Tap or click on the vertical 3-dots menu and select Mark all as read.
2. Delete Facebook notifications
On the other hand, if you simply want notifications to disappear, you can do so. This is accessible across all platforms. Simply expand the notifications, tap/click on the three-dot menu next to it, and then select Remove this notification.
Unfortunately, we are not aware of a way to batch delete notifications, so you will have to do it one at a time. Here are the steps to delete Facebook notifications on your smartphone or computer once more:
- Open Facebook.
- Select Notifications (the bell icon at the top or the bottom).
- Tap and hold on to the notification you want to delete until the contextual menu appears. You can also just go with the vertical 3-dots with the same result.
- Tap or click Remove this notification.
- You’ll have a short window to undo the deletion if you remove something by mistake.
In the same menu, you can find settings for this specific notification, allowing you to limit or completely mute future notifications.
In the future, Facebook should add a better and faster way to delete notifications. This is the only option for the time being. Thank you for reading, and please share your thoughts in the comments section below.