Grilled Mushroom Cheesesteaks
Grilled mushrooms and grilled onions with a lightweight cheese sauce makes for the last word vegetarian cheesesteak.
Replace and Disclosure: Again in 2015, l participated in a farm tour sponsored by The Mushroom Council however I used to be not compensated to put in writing this publish. Opinions and ideas are my very own however I feel I shaped my love for mushrooms within the womb. And this recipe is now the second hottest recipe on our weblog (right here’s hthe hottest.)
I’ve professed my love for mushrooms right here many occasions.
And though I’ve lived a mere 25 miles away from The Mushroom Capitol of the World: Kennet Sq., PA (due west from Philadelphia) for many of my life, I’ve by no means visited a mushroom farm.
However let’s get to the recipe first (scroll right down to study extra about mushroom farming and my Mushroom Council Tour):
In the present day, we’re speaking cheesesteaks (since I’m a Philly lady in spite of everything.)
In the event you’re a neighborhood, you order like so: “One whiz with” which interprets to “one cheesesteak with Cheez Whiz and with grilled onions.” (Usually, your solely different cheese alternative is provolone.)
Confession: So, I’m truly not an enormous cheesesteak fan. Typically I’m going for a rooster cheesesteak or a vegetarian cheesesteak – which is virtually blasphemous amongst cheesesteak purists.
However why not mix one Pennsylvania meals treasure into one other and this grilled mushroom cheesesteak additionally suits proper into #MeatlessMonday.
My rendition of Cheez Whiz is made with simply flour, a pat of butter and a few actually good cheddar. And if you’re mushroom lover like me, I don’t suppose you’re going to overlook the steak with this child.
[Affliated Link] –> my favourite grill pan that I exploit for these cheesesteaks and anytime we’re not utilizing the outside grill—>Calphalon Modern Nonstick 11-Inch SquareGrill Pan.
For the mushrooms:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced thinly
- 20 ounces child bella or white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon diminished sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
For the “cheese whiz” sauce:
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup low-fat milk (warmed for 1 minute in microwave)
- 4 ounces Cabot Further Sharp Cheddar
- 4 (6-inch) whole-wheat rolls
- In a grill pan, warmth olive oil over medium warmth. Add onion and cook dinner for about 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add mushrooms and grill for about 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Add soy sauce and black pepper, stir and grill for one more 5 minutes, stirring often. Take away from pan.
- Place rolls, reduce facet down on pan and grill for a couple of minutes till toasted.
- Whereas mushrooms are grilling, make cheese sauce by inserting a small sauce pan over medium warmth. Add butter and as soon as melted, whisk in flour.
- Slowly pour in heat milk, whisking continuously. Whisk continuously till sauce thickens (about 2 – 3 minutes.)
- Slowly whisk in cheese and whisk till melted. Take away from range.
- To assemble sandwiches, divide mushrooms evenly amongst 4 rolls. Pour cheese sauce over mushrooms and serve instantly.
And onto the Mushroom Tour….
Again in June 2015, The Mushroom Council hosted eight of us registered dietitians – half of us bloggers and the opposite half grocery store RDs for the day studying in regards to the newest in vitamin analysis, listening to about The Mix promotion and touring two mushroom farms (and naturally, consuming a number of native mushrooms.)
Some attention-grabbing information and funky tidbits I picked up in the course of the day:
- 65% of the world’s mushrooms are grown on this area of Pennsylvania
- Mushroom farmers are the final recyclers – a typical compost used is a mixture of straw, hay, horse manure, cocoa shells (from Hershey’s chocolate) and corn cobs.
- The most well-liked mushrooms, white button, take 11 weeks to develop.
- Unique mushrooms develop the vary from oyster mushrooms (about 18 days) to shiitakes (as much as 5 months.
Certainly one of our swag presents was an oyster mushroom rising package from Again To The Roots. And this black thumb gardener grew mushrooms in lower than 2 weeks on the kitchen counter – so cool!
Rising Mushroom Vitamin Analysis
Mushroom Cooking Ideas
- The Mix: Swap in diced mushrooms for about 30% of floor meat to make more healthy burgers, tacos, meatballs, meatloaf (the checklist goes on.) The advantages:
- Much less energy and fats
- Diminished sodium by 25%
- Elevated Vitamin D
- Enhanced taste
- Use diced white button mushrooms when mixing with floor rooster/turkey/pork
- Use diced portabellos when mixing with floor beef
- For some burger inspiration, try the James Beard Basis’s Higher Burger Challenge and see if there’s a restaurant close to you with a personalized mushroom blended burger on the menu.
Ever had a Philly cheeesteak? What’s your favourite option to cook dinner or eat mushrooms?