Generally I get on a serious bread-baking kick. Just a few weeks in the past I shared my mother’s No Knead Seeded Honey Oat Artisan Bread and it jogged my memory of my different all-time favourite bread recipes that I shared just a few years again.
The inclination to bake my very own sandwich bread got here after visiting my Grandma just a few years in the past and watching her crank out her selfmade bread faster than Martha Stewart. Not solely was the bread SO a lot better than the store-bought model, however it was a artistic hands-on exercise that I felt I may incorporate into a day. Plus, baking selfmade bread simply makes me proud, you realize?
So right here we’re! I needed to re-share a basic: my tender, selfmade wholesome sandwich bread recipe made with entire wheat flour, nutritious seeds, oats and naturally sweetened with only a contact of honey. I’ve been making this for years now and all the time come again to it. We use this sandwich bread recipe for sandwiches, garlic bread, french toast, avocado toast — the listing goes on! And now you may make it too.
Elements for wholesome sandwich bread
This pretty, wholesome bread recipe makes use of easy substances to create a nutritious, completely fluffy bread you’ll critically make many times. Right here’s all the pieces you’ll must make it:
- Milk: I’ve used each common milk and almond milk with success. You simply want to verify the milk is heat, however not sizzling. 115 levels F is the optimum temperature for bread making, however if you happen to don’t have a thermometer to make use of, the most effective gauge is your finger. Heat the milk appears like heat bathtub water if you take a look at it together with your finger.
- Oats: this wholesome sandwich bread recipe requires entire grain rolled oats. It provides a pleasant hearty texture to the bread. The oats will soak within the milk for five minutes to assist soften them a bit.
- Honey: to assist activate the yeast, we’re utilizing a tablespoon of honey which supplies the bread a really slight sweetness. In the event you don’t need to use honey, brown sugar may also work.
- Yeast: use fast rise or instantaneous yeast on this sandwich bread recipe to assist the bread rise quicker. You can even use energetic dry yeast, however the bread could take a barely longer time to rise.
- Butter: fats helps to provide the bread a finer crumb and higher texture, however we’re solely utilizing 3 tablespoons. Be happy to make use of vegan butter too!
- Bread flour: to assist maintain this seedy sandwich bread tender, fluffy and ethereal, we’re utilizing bread flour, which has a better protein stage to assist lighten the bread’s texture. The upper quantities of protein assist to provide extra gluten, which supplies bread its chewiness, texture and conventional ethereal holes.
- Entire wheat flour: I wished this sandwich bread recipe to incorporate entire grains so I opted for somewhat entire wheat flour. It’s vital that you just use 100% entire wheat flour on this recipe.
- Flaxseed meal: not solely does flaxseed meal assist to soak up some liquid on this recipe, however it additionally provides a wholesome dose of fiber and protein to the bread. Flaxseed meal is vital, please don’t skip it.
- Seeds: this recipe requires sunflower seeds, sesame seeds and poppy seeds, which not solely improve the flavour of the bread but in addition give it a tasty slight crunch particularly when toasted!
- Salt: bread made with out salt tastes very plain and as well as, salt additionally helps to regulate yeast in bread recipes so don’t skip it.
How one can measure flour
Technically you must use a scale to measure flour, however there’s actually no downside if you happen to don’t have one as a result of most yeast breads might be very forgiving. Studying learn how to measure flour correctly will guarantee success, so try my tutorial right here and bear in mind to observe the video for full directions!
All about yeast: which to make use of & learn how to activate
I get this query on a regular basis in my cinnamon roll recipe and may perceive why it might be complicated to know in case your yeast is activated. First, it’s vital to know that there are two varieties of yeast to select from:
- The primary is energetic dry yeast, which should be dissolved in liquid, or additionally what’s generally known as being “proofed” earlier than it’s added to the remainder of the dough substances.
- The second kind of yeast is instantaneous yeast, often known as fast rise yeast (that is the model I exploit and love!). That’s what we’re utilizing for this seedy wholesome sandwich bread recipe. It may be added to the dough with out proofing required. Nonetheless, I nonetheless wish to dissolve it in somewhat little bit of milk to assist get it began.
You should use both kind of yeast on this recipe, simply know that if you happen to use energetic dry yeast, it might take the bread longer to rise. You’ll know when the yeast is activated if you see just a few small foamy wanting bubbles begin to pop up within the milk/oat/honey combination.
Suggestions for baking selfmade sandwich bread
- Watch the second rise. The bread mustn’t come greater than 1 inch above the brim of the pan in the course of the second rise. The climate, how a lot you kneaded the dough and the temperature in your house can have an effect on how rapidly your dough will rise. So simply be sure you’re preserving a detailed eye on it.
- Examine the temp. Bread is completed when the interior temperature reaches 190 levels F. This bread is all the time completely performed for me between 35-40 minutes.
- Let it sit. Wait a minimum of 2 hours till reducing into the bread. I do know it may be very tempting, however if you happen to lower into it sooner it is going to most probably alter and alter the feel.
- Attempt it vegan. This bread can simply be made vegan, merely use brown sugar as a substitute of honey, almond milk for the common milk, vegan butter and skip the egg wash!
How one can retailer selfmade bread
- To retailer: it’s finest to retailer selfmade sandwich bread on the counter. As soon as the bread is totally cool, wrap it in plastic and retailer at room temperature. If the climate is sizzling or humid, it’s finest to retailer the bread within the fridge.
- To freeze the bread: wrap it in plastic wrap, then seal it in a ziplock plastic bag, ensuring to get all of the air out of the bag. You can even wrap the bread in plastic after which wrap it tightly in foil. Bread ought to final 3 months within the freezer. As soon as able to serve, unwrap the bread and thaw at room temperature.
Extra bread recipes you would possibly like
Get all of my bread recipes right here!
I hope you LOVE this wholesome bread recipe as a lot as we have now loved making it for you! Please depart a remark and charge the recipe if you happen to make it. Take pleasure in, xo!
The Finest Wholesome Comfortable Seedy Sandwich Bread
Prep Time 2 hours 30 minutes
Complete Time 3 hours 5 minutes
This selfmade wholesome sandwich bread recipe is tender and made with wholesome substances like entire wheat flour, sunflower seeds, poppy seeds, sesame seeds, oats, flaxseed and only a contact of honey. You’ll love making this for wholesome sandwiches, avocado toast, french toast and a lot extra!
- For the bread:
milk (be happy to make use of unsweetened almond milk)
old style rolled oats
fast rise yeast
entire wheat flour, plus extra if vital
- Oil, for coating
- For the egg wash:
- For topping:
old style rolled oats
- Elective: additional poppyseeds and sesame seeds
Warmth milk in a small saucepan over low warmth till milk is heat (about 115 levels F). It needs to be heat to the contact like heat bathwater however not sizzling. Take away from warmth and pour into a big bowl and stir in oats, yeast and honey. Let the combination sit for five minutes.
Subsequent, stir in melted butter into the bowl with the oats/yeast/honey. Instantly add in bread flour, entire wheat flour, flaxseed meal and salt combine with a picket spoon till a dough begins to kind.
Add in sunflower seeds, sesame seeds and poppyseeds and gently combine into the dough. At this level I wish to get the dough to come back along with clear palms. Place dough onto a well-floured floor and knead the dough together with your palms for 10 minutes. An alternative choice is to make use of the dough hook in your electrical mixer to knead the dough (I choose this methodology as a result of it is simpler).
As soon as performed kneading, kind dough right into a ball and place in a big bowl coated with about 1 tablespoon oil, turning the dough over to coat with oil. Cowl with plastic wrap and a heat towel and permit the dough to rise for about 90 minutes, or till doubled in measurement. This may occasionally take extra of much less time relying on the climate or temperature in your house.
Subsequent, grease a 8×4 inch loaf pan. After dough has risen, knead it just some extra occasions on a clear floor coated with entire wheat flour for about 1 min then form dough into an 8-inch lengthy log and place in ready pan, tucking the ends beneath.
Cowl the loaf with plastic wrap and a heat towel and permit it to rise once more for 60-90 minutes or till the loaf has risen an inch above the brim of the pan as demonstrated within the video. This may occasionally take kind of time relying on how heat it’s in your house. Watch fastidiously as a result of you don’t need the dough to rise an excessive amount of.
As soon as dough has risen the second time, preheat oven to 350 levels F. Beat egg in small bowl and brush excessive of the dough. (Please word that you just will not want to make use of the entire egg wash, however solely a small quantity.) Sprinkle just a few extra oats, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds and poppyseeds on prime of the dough.
Bake for 35-40 minutes or till loaf is barely golden brown on prime and the loaf sounds hole when tapped. Switch pan to wire rack to chill for 10 minutes, then take away bread from pan and place on wire rack to complete cooling for a minimum of 2 hours. Don’t lower the bread earlier than it’s utterly cooled or the feel will change.
Bread needs to be wrapped tightly and retailer at room temperature. If it is humid/sizzling, retailer bread within the fridge. Minimize into slices with a serrated knife. Makes 15 slices.
Bread is great toasted with butter, peanut butter, garlic butter or mashed avocado. It’s nice for grilling or for sandwiches too!
To make this bread vegan: use brown sugar as a substitute of honey, almond milk for the common milk, vegan butter and easily skip the egg wash!
See the complete publish for ideas, methods and methods to customise your bread!
Servings: 15 slices
Serving measurement: 1 slice (based mostly on 15)
Saturated fats: 1.8g
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Bold Kitchen | Images by: Eat Love Eats
This publish was initially printed on April seventh, 2019, and republished on February twentieth, 2023.