Teenagers have a tendency to spend so much of time in entrance of screens. However an excessive amount of display screen time can intrude with getting sufficient train, doing homework and being with family and friends. It can also contribute to weight problems, consideration and studying issues, and sleep issues.
Display screen time can embody issues like researching a college undertaking, creating music or artwork or scrolling on social media. It additionally contains watching TV reveals, streaming movies and taking part in video video games.
Right here, CHOC specialists advise mother and father to set limits on display screen time and keep conscious of what their teenagers are doing on-line.
How a lot display screen time is an excessive amount of?
The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommends that folks of youngsters and teenagers place constant limits on media use. Media contains leisure (like watching TV and taking part in video video games), and training (like researching a college undertaking).
Not all display screen time is similar. Teenagers are extra impartial, however it’s nonetheless as much as mother and father to resolve how (and the way usually) their teenagers use screens. Teenagers might have to spend extra time on-line doing homework however they could additionally spend loads of time on social media, taking part in video games or watching TV and movies.
Display screen time mustn’t substitute time wanted for sleeping, consuming, being energetic, finding out and interacting with household and associates.
Display screen time ideas for teenagers
- Encourage teenagers to be concerned in a wide range of free-time actions, like spending time with associates, becoming a member of golf equipment or after-school actions, and exercising. Encourage your teen to be bodily energetic on daily basis and get sufficient sleep.
- Flip off all screens throughout meals and not less than an hour earlier than bedtime. Preserve gadgets with screens out of your teen’s bed room after bedtime and don’t enable a TV in your teen’s bed room. This can assist your teen get sufficient sleep.
- Analysis video and laptop video games earlier than letting your teen get them. Take a look at the rankings, which might run from EC (which means “early childhood”) to AO (which means “adults solely”). Teenagers most likely must be restricted to video games rated T (for “teenagers”) or youthful. If potential, preview video games and even play them along with your teen to see what they’re like. The sport’s ranking might not match what you’re feeling is OK.
- Spend time collectively along with your teen watching TV, taking part in video games or logging on. Use this time as an opportunity to speak and be taught collectively.
- Preserve the pc in a standard space the place you possibly can watch what’s occurring. Educate your teen about protected Web and social media use Be sure that they know the hazards of sharing personal data on-line, cyberbullying or sexting.
- Set an excellent instance. Flip off TVs and different screens when not in use. Don’t depart screens on within the background. Flip off or mute your cellphone while you’re not utilizing it and through household instances, like meals.
Discuss to your physician you probably have any questions or issues about managing your teen’s display screen use.
We’re excited to supply the pediatric COVID-19 vaccine for kids and teenagers. To obtain a vaccine, contact your CHOC main care pediatrician to make an appointment.