This Curried Couscous with Tofu is a 30-minute vegan entree I’ve been making for years and years. It’s made with curried whole-wheat couscous, freshly roasted purple pepper, peas and baked tofu.
I initially shared this recipe for Curried Couscous on March 11, 2014. I’ve up to date the pictures and textual content to share it once more with you immediately! The recipe stays deliciously unchanged!
Why We Love This Recipe For Curried Couscous
I’ve been making this curried couscous with roasted purple peppers and peas for the final 25 plus years and it stays considered one of my favourite vegetarian dinner recipes.
It’s mainly a one-pot meal, which suggests it’s so straightforward for a weeknight dinner. Plus the candy peas, smoky roasted peppers and curry make it so yummy!
It actually is a superb recipe to have in your repertoire for any time of the 12 months. It’s at all times satisfying whether or not it’s served scorching or chilly.
We eat it as a important course, although additionally it is nice as a facet dish or to carry to a potluck picnic or occasion. The curry goes very well with all types of dishes from Sauteed Kale with vinegar to cucumber salad.
When you make this recipe a couple of times, have enjoyable experimenting with variations. Strive various kinds of curry powder, swap in tempeh or cooked hen for the tofu or skip the protein and serve it as a facet dish. We virtually at all times make it with roasted purple peppers and peas. Typically I’ll add in raisins, currants or nuts. I even did a variation of it for a potluck story I did for Mother and father journal.
Substances For This Recipe
- 1 purple bell pepper: You should utilize any colour bell pepper you want however I’ve historically used purple. If you’re in a rush, you should utilize 1 cup diced jarred and drained roasted purple peppers as a substitute.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil: You should utilize olive oil as a substitute should you desire, however I really like the way in which the coconut tastes with the curry powder.
- 2 cloves finely chopped garlic: That is the simplest solution to make this recipe, however I’ve additionally used a diced onion and sauteed that earlier than including within the curry. Both works nice!
- 2 teaspoons Curry powder or Garam Masala powder: The kind of curry powder you select will actually change the character of the recipe. I used Teeny Tiny Spice Co. British Curry. I additionally like to make it with Garam Masala or Tandori Masala too that are each candy and spicy. Or you may select a warmer Madras curry powder should you like spicy curry.
- 2 ½ cups vegetable broth: Think about “No Rooster” is my go-to model of vegetarian broth. If you happen to eat poultry, you should utilize hen broth as a substitute.
- a 7.6-ounce field whole-wheat couscous: Conventional couscous in Northern Africa is made by steaming cracked wheat. Right here within the US most couscous we purchase is fast cooking or immediate couscous comprised of pre-steamed and dried couscous. The containers usually say Moroccan Couscous or simply couscous. Test the bundle directions should you aren’t certain. It ought to solely have to be blended into the boiling water. Simmered for one minute after which sit for five minutes or so. If you happen to can’t discover whole-wheat couscous, common positive couscous can be utilized as a substitute.
- a 6 or 7-ounce bundle natural baked tofu: If in case you have by no means had baked tofu you might be in for a deal with! It’s way more agency than extra-firm tofu. I like Wildwood Natural if yow will discover it. It’s offered with different tofu merchandise usually in a refrigerated space within the produce part or close to the dairy of enormous supermarkets and well being meals shops.
- ½ teaspoon salt: If you’re salt delicate you may omit this and use low-sodium broth.
- 1 cup frozen peas: The peas don’t even should be thawed! Recent peas could be substituted.
- chopped contemporary parsley for garnish: That is only for seems to be greater than something however it additionally provides a contemporary grassy taste too.
Step By Step Directions To Make This Curried Couscous Recipe
Step 1: Organize oven rack in higher third of the oven and set to broil. Place pepper on a broiler pan and broil, turning sometimes till the pores and skin is charred and blistered throughout, 12-17 minutes.
Step 2: Place pepper in a bowl and canopy with foil or a plate to permit the pepper to steam and funky, not less than 10 minutes. Peel charred pores and skin off pepper. Core, seed and chop pepper.
Step 3: Warmth oil in a medium saucepan. Add garlic and curry or garam masala and prepare dinner, stirring till aromatic 30 to 90 seconds. Add broth, cowl and produce to a boil.
Step 4: Add couscous, tofu, peas and the roasted purple pepper to the saucepan and return to a simmer. Cowl and take away from the warmth. Let sit 5 minutes earlier than fluffing with a fork. Serve sprinkled with parsley if desired.
FAQs and Professional Ideas
Whereas many consider couscous as a sort of entire grain and others as a pasta product, it’s type of neither! It’s comprised of cracked semolina wheat, blended with water, and rolled between the palms of your fingers to kind tiny grain-like beads. In North-Western African cultures, from the place it hails, it’s then steamed. Right here in the US we most frequently see couscous that’s pre-steamed after which dried and offered in containers as immediate couscous. With this latter kind of couscous, all that’s left to be carried out is to reconstitute it in scorching water (or broth) for about 5 minutes.
We don’t advocate freezing tofu as a result of it alters its texture. If you need to freeze this dish, omit the tofu and stir it in whenever you reheat it.
As a substitute of tofu you should utilize one other cooked protein comparable to cooked hen or turkey. You may also omit the tofu altogether.
Thanks a lot for studying. If you’re new right here you might have considered trying to enroll in my free weekly e mail e-newsletter for wholesome recipes delivered proper to your inbox. Or observe me on Instagram. If you happen to make this recipe, please come again and go away a star score and assessment! It is extremely appreciated. Completely satisfied Cooking! ~Katie
A favourite vegan entree that I’ve been making for years: curried couscous recipe with roasted purple pepper, peas and baked natural tofu. Complete-grain
- 1 purple bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 cloves finely chopped garlic
- 2 teaspoons Curry powder or Garam Masala
- 2 ½ cups vegetable broth, comparable to Think about No Rooster
- 1 7.6-ounce field whole-wheat couscous
- 1 6-ounce bundle natural baked tofu, diced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup frozen peas
- chopped contemporary parsley for garnish
- Organize oven rack in higher third of the oven and set to broil. Place pepper on a broiler pan and broil, turning sometimes till the pores and skin is charred and blistered throughout, 12-17 minutes.
- Place pepper in a bowl and canopy with foil or a plate to permit the pepper to steam and funky, about 10 minutes. Peel charred pores and skin off pepper. Core, seed and chop pepper.
- Warmth oil in a medium saucepan. Add garlic and curry or garam masala and prepare dinner, stirring till aromatic 30 to 90 seconds. Add broth, cowl and produce to a boil.
- Add couscous, tofu, peas and the roasted purple pepper to the saucepan and return to a simmer. Cowl and take away from the warmth. Let sit 5 minutes earlier than fluffing with a fork. Serve sprinkled with parsley if desired.
The kind of curry powder you select will actually change the character of the recipe. I used Teeny Tiny Spice Co. British Curry. I additionally like to make it with Garam Masala or Tandori Masala too that are each candy and spicy. Or you may select a warmer Madras curry powder should you like spicy curry.
- Serving Measurement: 1 1/2 cup
- Energy: 306
- Sugar: 7 g
- Fats: 9 g
- Saturated Fats: 4 g
- Carbohydrates: 39 g
- Fiber: 7 g
- Protein: 20 g