A meals canner, I’m not.
Admittedly, I’m only a bit too lazy nervous to cope with sterilizing, boiling water and making the proper seal on a canning jar. Which is ridiculous as a result of the few occasions I’ve made the hassle, I’ve realized that it doesn’t must be an enormous manufacturing.
So, relating to jam, it’s often the down and soiled, fast methodology for me – boil down some fruit with sugar and seasonings. Add to jar, refrigerate and eat it earlier than it goes dangerous.
This explicit jam recipe was impressed from a visit to Vermont years in the past with the #CabotFit crew. Certainly one of our stops was on the Chilly Hole Cider Mill the place I picked up a jar of the native Not For Firm’s Zucchini Marmalade – so distinctive and flavorful!
Now, whereas zucchini jam/jelly/marmalade could appear a bit odd, it really is like zucchini bread in taste – simply with out the flour, eggs, fats and baking powder/soda.
The jam is the consistency of sauerkraut however the brown sugar offers it an exquisite caramelized taste. And this recipe is an effective way to make use of up some zucchini – the quintessential summer season vegetable that can preserve coming at us with a vengeance for the following few months.
- 5 cups peeled, shredded zucchini (about 3 medium)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ lemon, seeded and sliced thickly
- 1 teaspoon floor cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon floor ginger
- Pinch of salt
- In a medium measurement saucepan, combine all substances collectively. Convey to a boil; stirring incessantly (the zucchini combination will turning into runny). Boil for two minutes after which scale back to a sluggish simmer, stirring sometimes for 40 – 45 minutes till liquid is nearly gone. Take away from range and discard lemon slices.
- Use as unfold or topping for waffles, toast, pancakes or yogurt. Retailer in canning jars or different glass containers. The jam will preserve in your fridge for about 2 weeks.