Name dibs now—you need to convey this Candy Potato Souffle to Thanksgiving this yr! Velvety roasted candy potatoes overwhelmed right into a fluffy frenzy with butter, sugar, and eggs, then showered with a crunchy pecan topping and baked till golden, it has the distinct behavior of stealing the aspect dish present.
This recipe is sponsored by ALDI.
Plus, you’re going to sound ultra-impressive if you casually point out that you’re bringing a souffle.
Although the phrase “souffle” suggests a dish that’s fussy (and you may enable your folks to imagine as a lot), candy potato souffle is EASY.
Souffle vs. Casserole
In contrast to a traditional French souffle, southern candy potato souffle requires zero meticulous whipping and folding of egg whites or hovering by the oven because it bakes to hope to the meals gods that it gained’t fall.
- The method to make candy potato souffle is extra like making a casserole: put together filling, add scrumptious topping, then bake.
- The first distinction between a casserole and souffle is the feel of the candy potatoes. As a result of eggs are overwhelmed with the candy potatoes in a candy potato souffle, they change into fluffy and light-weight, similar to a traditional souffle.
Candy potato souffle can also be way more inexpensive to make than its fancy identify signifies, particularly in case you decide up your groceries at ALDI.
I’ve been purchasing at ALDI since Ben was in graduate college and we have been on a critical finances. I’m excited to be partnering with them to create this recipe right this moment, as a result of I firmly imagine that you just shouldn’t need to sacrifice consuming properly simply since you don’t have limitless cash to spend on groceries.
ALDI gives unbelievable worth and high quality for its merchandise, an attribute I particularly respect this time of yr.
The vacations are particular, however between presents, entertaining, and giving to good causes, the numbers add up.
Making a change so simple as choosing up your groceries at ALDI can go a good distance in the direction of stretching your greenback, with out having to surrender the great eats that make the vacations so particular. (Actually, ALDI is proud that clients can get every thing they want for a standard Thanksgiving meal, together with the turkey, sides, and pumpkin pie, all from ALDI and all for lower than $30.*!)
The Candy Potato Bake Debate
One of many nice battles of our time (to not be dramatic or something) is whether or not or not Thanksgiving candy potatoes ought to embody marshmallows.
- I’m a tough NO, preferring as an alternative a extra savory take like these Glazed Candy Potatoes.
- My sister Elizabeth? She loves the marshmallow model a lot, she may virtually eat it for breakfast.
This recipe for candy potato souffle is the best center floor.
Methods to Make Candy Potato Souffle
Fluffy candy potato souffle is Southern by origin and stays widespread at Thanksgiving all through the South.
Historically it’s VERY candy; a lot of the recipes I discovered comprise extra sugar than Candy Potato Pie.
- I discovered I may lower down on the sugar considerably, particularly if I roasted the candy potatoes as an alternative of steaming or boiling them.
- Roasting concentrates the candy potatoes’ pure sugars, making the souffle style sweeter.
Roasting works with what this scrumptious, wholesome vegetable provides us naturally, as an alternative of protecting it up with extra sugar than a dessert.
- Candy Potatoes. My fave vacation aspect! I picked these orange beauties up at ALDI, together with the remainder of my common produce for the week. Candy potatoes are full of fiber, nutritional vitamins, and antioxidants.
- Eggs. The important thing to the fluffy candy potato souffle’s ethereal texture. I choose to buy natural, as I discover a definite distinction within the high quality and style. Natural doesn’t have to interrupt the financial institution—I used Easy Nature Natural Cage Free Brown Eggs from ALDI.
- Pecans. Nuts are one other ingredient that may be expensive, which is why I decide up a bag of Southern Grove Pecan Halves on virtually each ALDI journey (they’re additionally a wonderful excuse to bake Pecan Pie Bars).
- Butter. Butter provides wealthy, mandatory vacation taste to each the candy potatoes and the pecan topping.
- Milk. Helps make the candy potato combination further creamy. I used 1% milk, however you need to use any milk you could have available.
- Sugar + Maple Syrup. I attempted to maintain this candy potato souffle wholesome relative to most by chopping down on the quantity of sugar used in comparison with many conventional recipes. As an alternative of utilizing solely refined sugar, I opted so as to add in slightly maple syrup for pure sweetness. It’s additionally a divine pairing with candy potatoes and pecans.
- Vanilla. Provides a heat and coziness. Vanilla is surprisingly great in candy potato bakes.
- Cinnamon. Cinnamon and candy potatoes are a dream group.
- Flaked Coconut. Whereas non-obligatory, I really like the contact of additional nuttiness it provides to the topping. The flavour is just not robust, so even in case you are not usually a coconut fan, you’ll seemingly get pleasure from it right here.
- Roast the candy potatoes.
- Scoop the flesh right into a mixing bowl.
- Add the remaining filling elements.
- Beat till clean.
- Switch the combination to a baking dish.
- Put together the topping, then sprinkle it over the candy potatoes.
- Bake the candy potato souffle at 350 levels F for 40 minutes. Let relaxation for five minutes, then DIG IN!
- To Retailer. Refrigerate leftover souffle in an hermetic storage container for as much as 4 days.
- To Reheat. Rewarm leftovers in a baking dish within the oven at 350 levels F or gently within the microwave.
- To Freeze. Freeze souffle in an hermetic freezer-safe storage container for as much as 3 months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than reheating.
Meal Prep Tip
As much as 1 day prematurely, put together the filling and place it within the baking dish. Cowl and refrigerate till you’re prepared so as to add the topping and end the recipe.
Incessantly Requested Questions
Sure, however accomplish that with warning. As a result of canned yams (or canned candy potatoes) come pre-sweetened, I like to recommend leaving out a lot of the sugar and maple syrup from the filling to begin. As soon as it’s combined, you may style it and modify in case you’d like your filling sweeter (bear in mind, the topping is nice too).
If you happen to don’t have any maple syrup available, you may swap it for honey.
Baking the candy potatoes provides great, essential taste to this dish, so I extremely suggest taking the time to do that step. Nevertheless, in case you’re crunched for time, you may microwave the candy potatoes. Pierce every potato 3 to 4 instances with a fork, then microwave them for about 5 minutes.
(For a fast candy potato aspect dish, don’t miss my Prompt Pot Mashed Candy Potatoes.)
The marshmallow casserole fanatics, the nay-sayers, and even those that in different circumstances are candy potato averse will all discover one thing to like on this spiced, candy, and savory candy potato aspect dish.
Relying upon your loved ones’s collection of subjects, I can’t promise the identical peace to your dinner desk discussions, however a minimum of we are able to all agree on candy potato souffle!
*Based mostly on the gadgets and portions included within the American Farm Bureau Federation’s annual Thanksgiving Dinner Price Survey, for dinner for as much as 10 with a 12lb Butterball turkey and extra miscellaneous gadgets (e.g. espresso, butter, flour, sugar, eggs) not included within the survey. Obtainable in-store and on-line. Tax and on-line charges not included.
FOR THE SOUFFLE:
- 5 massive or 6 medium candy potatoes about 7 cups as soon as mashed
- 6 tablespoons Countryside Creamery Unsalted Butter melted or at room temperature
- 2 massive Easy Nature Natural Cage Free Brown Eggs
- 1/4 cup Baker’s Nook Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 cup Specifically Chosen Pure Maple Syrup
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Stonemill Floor Cinnamon improve to 1 teaspoon in case you LOVE cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup milk I used 1%
FOR THE TOPPING:
- 1/4 cup Countryside Creamery Unsalted Butter
- 1 1/4 cups Southern Grove Pecan Halves finely chopped
- ¼ cup flaked coconut non-obligatory; I used unsweetened; sweetened will work too.
- 1/2 cup Baker’s Nook Brown Sugar packed
- 1/3 cup Baker’s Nook All-Objective Flour
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
Bake the candy potatoes: Preheat the oven to 425 levels F. Line a rimmed bakingsheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper. With a fork, poke holes within the outsides of the candy potatoes. Bake for 40 to 60 minutes (timing will depend on the scale of your candy potatoes), till very tender when pierced with a fork. Put aside to chill.
Put together the souffle: Scale back the oven temperature to 350 levels F. Coat a 9×13 casserole dish or comparable 2 ½ quart casserole dish with nonstick spray.
As soon as the candy potatoes are cool sufficient to deal with, slip off the peels. Scoop out the flesh and place in a big mixing bowl or the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
Add the butter, eggs, sugar, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon, salt, and milk.
Beat till easily mixed.
Scoop into the ready baking dish.
Put together the topping: In a medium mixing bowl, soften the butter. Sprinkle the nuts, coconut, brown sugar, flour, and salt excessive. Stir till evenly moistened and mixed. Scatter the combination over the candy potatoes in a fair layer.
Bake the candy potato souffle till the topping is frivolously browned and your kitchen smells superb, about 40 minutes. Let relaxation 5 minutes, then get pleasure from heat.
- TO STORE: Refrigerate souffle in an hermetic storage container for as much as 4 days.
- TO REHEAT: Rewarm leftovers in a baking dish within the oven at 350 levels F or within the microwave.
- TO FREEZE: Freeze souffle in an hermetic freezer-safe storage container for as much as 3 months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than reheating.
Serving: 1(of 10)Energy: 464kcalCarbohydrates: 61gProtein: 6gFats: 23gSaturated Fats: 10gPolyunsaturated Fats: 3gMonounsaturated Fats: 8gTrans Fats: 1gLdl cholesterol: 63mgPotassium: 699mgFiber: 7gSugar: 29gVitamin A: 24536IUVitamin C: 4mgCalcium: 96mgIron: 2mg
Be a part of right this moment and begin saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite tasks and tutorials.
This submit is sponsored by ALDI. As at all times, all opinions are my very own. Thanks a lot for supporting the manufacturers and corporations who assist Nicely Plated and make it potential for me to proceed to create prime quality content material for you! For recipe inspiration and to study extra, go to ALDI’s weblog, Fb, Pinterest, Twitter, and Instagram.