Any motion that’s executed through the observe of Kundalini Yoga may be known as kriya.
Kundalini kriyas contain respiration methods, chants, and bodily motion that can assist in awakening the kundalini shakti from its dormant state.
In Kundalini Yoga, which was launched to the West by Yogi Bhajan within the 70s, the kriyas have particular directions and are practised to realize a particular end result.
When practised diligently, kundalini kriyas unblock and activate the chakras which, subtly or instantly, change the physique and thoughts of the practitioner. Additionally they goal organs such because the liver, backbone, abdomen, intestines, eyes, and many others.
These kriyas are practised in the identical approach as Yogi Bhajan had taught by the Kundalini academics. At first of the Kundalini Yoga class, a gap mantra is chanted, adopted by a warm-up, performing a kriya and shutting with a meditation.
You might usually see kundalini yoga practitioners carrying white garments with a white turban. However it isn’t necessary to put on white. It’s steered as a result of white is assumed to keep at bay or block unfavourable vitality and strengthen your aura.
White can also be an emblem of peace, therefore it could assist in selling a peaceable thoughts when practising the kriyas.
By practising kundalini yoga kriyas, one can awaken the dormant kundalini vitality that lies on the base of the backbone in root chakra. In its woke up state, the vitality travels via the backbone to the crown of the pinnacle, activating the seven chakras.
This helps in enhancing self-awareness and inspiring the free move of prana vitality as properly.
Within the following part, we have now talked about 10 frequent kriyas which can be usually carried out by practitioners. You will need to focus in your breath, gaze and sounds you make through the kriya as they assist in unblocking energies and growing focus.
1. Breath of Hearth
The breath of fireplace kinds an important and essential a part of the kundalini yoga kriya.
This kriya is a respiration approach that generates internal warmth which helps in cleansing and energizing your thoughts and physique. For the breath of fireplace, you might want to inhale passively and exhale forcefully with none pauses. The tempo and size of the respiration ought to be equal.
Breath of fireplace kriya works on stimulating the Photo voltaic Plexus chakra which is the seat of willpower, willpower, and internal power.
Comply with the steps beneath to carry out Breath of fireplace kriya;
- Sit in a cross-legged yoga pose, prefeabbly; lotus pose or straightforward pose or thunderbolt pose. Sit tall along with your again upright.
- Place your palms on the knees, both in Gyan Mudra or just palms opens going through upwards.
- Interact your stomach and inhale via your nostril. You need to really feel your stomach and diaphragm increasing.
- With none pause, exhale forcefully. Your stomach and diaphragm ought to snap again into the backbone.
- Be sure the size of inhaling and exhaling are equal. Set up a rhythm and repeat the method for not less than 30 seconds.
- Steadily enhance the time restrict to 5-10 minutes.
After getting completed practising BOF, come again to steady respiration.
This respiration kriya is mostly carried out in the beginning of the kundalini yoga class to heat up internally.
2. Sat Kriya
The Sat Kriya is without doubt one of the elementary kriyas of kundalini yoga. As per Yogi Bhajan, practising Sat Kriya for 3 minutes on daily basis offers you the good thing about a whole yoga class.
The kriya has been named Sat Kriya as on this kriya you chant Sat Nam in sync with the breath motion. Sat (pronounced as sut as in “reduce”) stands for reality/sincere/proper and Nam (pronounced as naam as in “calm”) means identify. Chanting Sat Nam means you’re invoking the divine and coming to phrases with the reality inside your self.
Sat kriya works instantly on awakening the kundalini shakti. It gently massages the interior organs and regulates blood strain thereby strengthening the center. It fosters the awakening of sexual vitality and in addition promotes deep leisure.
The three decrease chakras, Root, Photo voltaic Plexus, and Sacral Chakras are stimulated concurrently which help in calming the thoughts and enhancing focus.
Comply with the steps beneath to carry out Sat kriya.
- Sit in a Vajrasana or Rock Pose. Your again ought to be straight, knees collectively and the highest of your ft ought to be on the bottom.
- Stretch each your palms overhead and be part of your palms. Your higher arms ought to be touching your ears and your elbows shouldn’t bend.
- Interlock all of your finger besides the index fingers of each palms. Ideally, females ought to cross the left thumb over the appropriate and males ought to cross the appropriate thumb over the left. This hand place is named kali mudra.
- Begin chanting Sat Nam in a continuing rhythmic method 8 instances in 10 seconds.
- On inhalation, pull your navel in and up in direction of the backbone, chant Sat. Whereas exhaling, chant Nam and loosen up the stomach.
- You do not want to have interaction any locks or bandhas as root and the diaphragm locks are routinely engaged if you breath. All through the method of chanting, your backbone stays straight.
- Focus your gaze on the center of the brows along with your eyes closed.
In case you are a newbie, do sat kriya for not less than 3 minutes. Steadily enhance the time to 31 minutes.
On the finish of three minutes, inhale deeply and squeeze the muscular tissues from the buttocks previous the shoulder blades. Maintain your breath for a couple of seconds whereas specializing in the Crown Chakra after which exhale utterly.
As quickly as you finish the Sat Kriya, you must observe it up with a protracted deep leisure. The everyday time for leisure is twice the size of time the kriya was practiced. This leisure time is a should as it can give time in your physique to assimilate with itself.
Word: Sat kriya of kundalini yoga shouldn’t be misunderstood with Shat kriyas of Hatha Yoga. In kundalini yoga, sat kriya is a chant synch with respiration motion whereas in hatha yoga shat kriya (shat means 6) is named to the gathering of 6 yogic kriyas used for inner physique cleaning.
3. Ego Eradicator
Because the identify reveals, Ego Eradicator kundalini kriya is practised to carry that openness within the coronary heart which removes the sense of I-ness and calms the thoughts.
Ego Eradicator kriya is carried out by opening the arms up & sideways. Then with this arms place Breath of Hearth is carried out. It is a extremely popular kriya amongst kundalini yoga practitioners.
Working towards the ego eradicator will open your coronary heart and steadiness the 2 hemispheres of the mind. It can cleanse and strengthen the lungs and enhance spinal power as properly.
Furthermore, this kriya may also steadiness your chakras, guaranteeing a smoother move of prana vitality. This can promote psychological readability, consciousness, alertness, and quietness.
Comply with the steps beneath to do that kriya.
- Sit in an Straightforward Pose (Sukhasana).
- Stretch your arms overhead at an angle of 60-degrees. Curl your fingers in order that the fingertips contact the bottom of the fingers. Hold the thumb prolonged and pointed in direction of the sky.
- Shut your eyes and deal with the Third Eye Chakra.
- Start Breath of Hearth and proceed for 1-3 minutes.
- On the finish of the kriya, be part of the thumbs on the recommendations on an inhale and apply the basis lock on exhale. Take one other inhale and loosen up your physique on exhale.
4. Spinal Stretch
This kriya is much like the Cat-Cow pose in Hatha Yoga. The one distinction is that you’ll be practising the spinal stretch in a seated place. By way of the spinal flex kriya, you possibly can cut back the tightness and stiffness within the backbone.
Doing spinal stretch will be certain that, bodily, there’s an uninterrupted move of the spinal fluid from the mind to the backbone. Spiritually, all of the chakras might be stimulated and promote a free move of prana.
- Sit in an Straightforward Pose (Sukhasana) with eyes closed.
- Maintain each your shins or knees.
- Inhale and flex your backbone ahead and open your chest. Exhale and flex the backbone backward.
- At any time, the shoulders shouldn’t contact your ears and be relaxed. Additionally, concentrate on holding your head straight.
Repeat the train for 3 minutes.
5. Spinal Twist
The spinal twist train successfully loosens your backbone, particularly decrease and mid-spine. It releases any stiffness or stress within the backbone and again muscular tissues, strengthens the lungs and cleanses your aura.
- Sit in an Straightforward Pose (Sukhasana).
- Place your palms in your shoulder, fingers within the entrance and thumb on the again. Your higher arms ought to be parallel to the bottom and elbows ought to be in keeping with the shoulders.
- Twist to the appropriate as you inhale after which on the left as you exhale. Whereas twisting, your head and backbone will stay straight. Chant Sat on inhale and Nam on exhale.
- Don’t be stiff. Enable your again and head to simply twist with the move.
Repeat the train for 1-3 minutes.
6. Stretch Pose
The stretch pose is a difficult and superior train that usually causes issues to the practitioners. However in case you are conscious of your breath and deal with drawing your power from the navel heart, it is possible for you to to simply conquer this pose.
This pose works on your entire physique. It resets the nervous system, strengthens the belly organs, purifies and rejuvenates the blood. The stretch pose additionally focuses on the third eye chakra which calms your thoughts and enhances your shallowness.
Ladies can particularly profit from this pose because it strengthens the reproductive organs.
In case you are a newbie, don’t pressure your physique to carry the pose for 3 minutes. In case you can not maintain the pose for greater than 10 seconds, it’s nice to let go of the place and loosen up for a couple of seconds. Begin once more after stress-free. You’ll be able to step by step enhance the time whereas alternating between holding the pose and stress-free for a couple of seconds.
- Lie down in your again.
- Lengthen the again of your neck and elevate your head and higher chest collectively. Draw your chin in to maintain the pinnacle straight and lengthened.
- Carry your decrease leg, holding the decrease again on the bottom, roughly 6 inches from the bottom. Repair your gaze within the ideas of your toes.
- Hold your hand stretched out in entrance of you with palms down however not touching your physique. You too can place them beside you, with palms going through inwards and never touching the bottom or your physique.
- In case you really feel any discomfort in your decrease again, place your palms below your buttocks for help or frivolously relaxation the heel on the bottom.
- Follow Breath of Hearth on this pose.
7. Entrance Life Nerve Stretch
The life nerve stretch of Kundalini Yoga is identical as seated ahead bend (Paschimottanasana) in Hatha Yoga. this train will strengthen your legs, pelvis, and legs together with stimulation of the sciatic nerves. The ahead fold encourages lengthening and strengthening of the backbone.
- Sit along with your legs stretched out in entrance of you.
- Seize your large toes along with your finger. Wrap the index and center finger across the toe and press the toenail with the pads of your thumb.
- With an elongated backbone, interact your navel and bend ahead whereas exhaling. On the following inhale, push up with the power of your legs and the navel. In each circumstances, the pinnacle follows final.
- Proceed this train for 1-3 minutes whereas respiration deeply.
8. Cobra Pose
The observe of this pose is much like Hatha yoga however the intention to carry out is barely totally different. In Kundalini Yoga, the cobra pose is practised to steadiness the apana. It additionally will increase the prana vitality move in order that the vitality circulates in direction of the upper centres.
By specializing in the Apana, it additionally stimulates and balances sexual vitality.
- Lie down in your abdomen and place your forearms beside your ribs. Hold your legs joined collectively.
- Deliver your palms beneath your shoulders and unfold your fingers to create a agency help and unfold the burden evenly.
- Inhale and elevate your head, chest and backbone upwards whereas holding your pelvis and legs on the mat. Hold your shoulder away out of your ears and shoulders blades pressed in direction of the again.
- Keep on this pose for 1-3 minutes whereas training Breath of Hearth.
- On the following inhale, stretch your backbone to the utmost. Maintain your breath within the subsequent exhale and apply the basis lock. Inhale and exhale whereas slowly coming right down to lie down on the mat utterly.
9. Archer Pose
Bodily talking, the archer pose will strengthen your quads, legs, knees, shoulders, and arms. Internally, it can stimulate the third eye chakra and promote emotions of fearlessness, willpower, and willpower.
- Begin by standing within the Tadasana (Mountain Pose).
- Step your left foot to the again by approx. 3 ft. Place your left heel on the ground and switch the toes to a 45-degree angle. Your left leg ought to be straight.
- Bend the appropriate knee in order that your thighs are parallel to the ground and your knee is in keeping with the ankle. Be sure your proper foot heel is in keeping with the arch of the left foot.
- Curl the fingers of each palms into your palm besides the thumb. Put your arms in entrance of your with this hand formation.
- Pull your left hand again in order that the fist is close to the left shoulder as in case you had been pulling the arrow from the bow. Your proper arm ought to be parallel to the bottom and each the shoulders ought to be in line.
- Focus your gaze on the tip of your right-hand thumb.
Follow this pose for 3 minutes on every leg.
10. Deep Rest
Similar to how we finish a hatha yoga session with Savasana (Corpse Pose), the deep leisure strategy of Kundalini Yoga is comparable. The intention of practising additionally it is comparable, to let the physique really feel and benefit from the modifications led to via the kriyas. You’ll be able to bask within the rejuvenating energies of your aura and let your physique loosen up.
You simply must lie down in your again along with your arms by your facet, palms up. Shut your eyes and loosen up for so long as 11-Quarter-hour.
The above are just a few kriyas among the many a number of kundalini yoga kriyas taught by Yogi Bhajan. By stimulating and activating the chakra and prana vitality flows, you’re permitting the Kundalini vitality to align and transfer upwards.
Combining breath, gaze, and sound, you’re additionally activating the third eye and crown chakra to hook up with the divine consciousness, which is the final word objective of any yoga type.